Sunday, October 20, 2013

Good behavior or Good news?

I'm pondering the ideas in a Washington Post blog post about contemporary Christian sermons and worship services. The ideas are summed up in the author's claim "The  heart of the Christian faith is Good News not good behavior."

How much of faithful living is about trying to live up to the ideals of one's religion, and how much of it is about accepting the grace that lets us off the hook because noone actually can? I feel tension every day about that.

For me, those feelings are resolved when I imagine God being much less interested in my mistakes than I am. In other words, the universe is swirling around doing its thing in a context so much larger than I could ever imagine, I need to remember that I have a real but very tiny role in it. In other, other words, it's not all about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment